Hard water is softened by removing the calcium and magnesium it contains. When hard water passes through the softening system's resin bed, it exchanges the hard ions in the water for soft ones, so only softened water passes through to your home. Once the resin bed fills up with hardness ions, it must be cleaned. Salt is typically used in the regeneration (cleaning) process and restores the resin to a "clean" state so the ion exchange process can begin again.
Some benefits of having a Water Softener...
- Provides a continuous supply of soft water for your entire house
- Reduces soap residue on hair and skin
- Leaves clothes brighter and soft to the touch
- Makes household cleaning easier and less expensive
- Prevents hard water spots on glassware, dishes and utensils
- Reduces soap scum and scaling on faucets, sinks and tubs
- Reduces water heating bills
- Increases the lifespan of water-using appliances
We will evaluate your home and recommend the right water softener for your water quality and budget. Pete Black Plumbing carries a variety of new and used water softeners. Ask us about our rental program!